Pet Dental Kit
Creating your own pet dental kit is not only simple, but you can relax in the knowledge that you are using only the healthiest and safest products. Why use store-bought pet toothpaste that often contains all sorts of chemicals, when you can create your own safe and effective toothpaste with just a few supplies from the store!
When using natural remedies for pet dental care, choose organic ingredients whenever possible as they have greater medicinal value and do not contain pesticide residue. Always check with your vet before using any product with pregnant, chronically ill, or lactating pets.
The Natural Pet Dental Cabinet
Building a natural dental kit for pets is very easy, with most ingredients easily found at the local grocery or natural health food store:
Purchase either a regular soft-bristled toothbrush, or a "finger toothbrush" that has soft and flexible bristles to help massage the gums while removing food particles. I highly recommend a finger toothbrush because it slides right onto your finger and is very easy to use.
When it comes to toothpaste for your pup, do not feel limited to buying a store-bought toothpaste (some of which contain very unhealthy ingredients). Do NOT use human toothpaste, as they contain ingredients that are poisonous to dogs, such as fluoride. Consider using a simple home-made version that is very effective.
Here are two great examples:
- Coconut Oil & Baking Soda
Create your own toothpaste by mixing an equal amount of baking soda and coconut oil (1 teaspoon of each is a great amount). Mix into a paste and gently brush your pup's teeth. Baking soda is a mild abrasive, so you do not need to apply pressure when brushing.
Coconut oil helps fight tooth decay, and reduces sores and infections. As an added bonus, most pets absolutely love the taste of coconut oil and can't get enough of it!
- Vitamin C
Mix 1/4 cup of warm water with 1/4 teaspoon of powdered vitamin C. Dip the toothbrush into the mixture and gently brush your pup's teeth. As over 90% of the US supply of vitamin C is made in China, if possible, make sure that the brand you choose is not. ...Read more
The following items are great to have on hand when treating minor infections and abrasions:
- Colloidal Silver: Antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. It can be used topically and can also be swallowed.
- Echinacea: Anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and pain reliever. As a mouthwash, it helps to fight gingivitis by helping to destroy germs and fight minor gum infections. The pain relieving properties soothes sore gums.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract: Used as a broad spectrum antibacterial and antiviral remedy, also anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic.
- RAW Honey: Antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties. Speeds up healing by helping remove dead and infected tissue.
- Oil of Oregano (not for cats): Antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal, and antiviral.
- Healthy & balanced pet diet
- Why pets are getting sicker
- Treating common pet injuries
- Pet first aid kit
- Pet-proofing your home
- Preparing for a new pet!
- Pet food recalls
- Fleas, ticks, & mosquitoes
- Natural dog grooming
- Pet vaccinations