Appetizers & Dips
Dips are a great way to eat our veggies. Slices of carrots, bell peppers, cucumber, jicama, and any others you enjoy are given a burst of flavor when smothered with the variety of flavors dips can offer us.
It's very easy to make our own dips, and far healthier than using packaged marinades and condiments which are notorious for containing artificial and highly processed ingredients, chemical flavorings and colorings, and processed sugar.
Making Flavorful Dips
When it comes to making dips, let's take a look at the selection of healthy ingredients we have to choose from:
- Vegetables, raw or lightly cooked
- Fruits (all popular ones, especially avocados)
- Dried fruits (dates, currants, figs, apricots, raisins, prunes)
- Citrus fruits, juice and/or rind (lemon, lime, orange)
- Nuts and nut butters
- Seeds and seed butters
- Natural sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, stevia leaf)
- Herbs & seasonings
- Vinegars (white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine)
- Nutritional yeast (for a cheese flavor)
Here are some great "foundation dips" to get you started. Let these dips stimulate your imagination into trying different combinations of your own: